Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tips For Shooting In the Snow & Cold Weather

After my lovely and very successful engagement session at sunset (in the snow) I decided that I would share some tips that I have learned over the past couple of years to help the snowy season easier, your sessions run smoother, and last but not least...SAVE YOUR CAMERA! Hope you enjoy them!!

  • Cold batteries die faster, especially in temperatures below the freezing point, so keep your batteries warm. Carry them close to your body/in pockets/under clothes. Also, bring spares and keep those warm in your pockets until ready for use.
I always carry a minimum of 3 batteries to a session. I have one in my camera, and the other two in each front pocket of my jeans wrapped in hand warmer. I do not carry them in back pockets because with all the walking, bending, and jogging that you do in the cold i'ts easy to loose them. Make sure to switch out your batteries frequently.
  • Give your camera equipment time to acclimate when going from cold to warm temperatures. Otherwise, you risk condensation build-up, which can damage lenses as well as internal digital camera components. Gradually introduce it to warmer temperatures. For example, leave your equipment in the garage or on a covered porch for a while before moving it inside. 
  • Another trick to prevent condensation build-up when moving from cold to warm temperatures is to seal your camera in an airtight plastic bag (such as a Ziplock). Seal the camera completely inside of the bag BEFORE moving indoors, and condensation should form on the bag rather than the camera. Leave the camera inside the bag until it’s had a chance to fully warm up to room temperature.
  • If you anticipate mild snow or rain while shooting, waterproof your camera with plastic bags. Bring lens cloths or lint-free tissues to wipe off any moisture that might build up on the lens from melting snowflakes.
  • Invest in fingerless gloves with a fold-back mitten top, so you can access camera controls while keeping your hands as warm as possible in between shots.
I got mine from my BEST FRIEND  Lindsey for Christmas! They don't seem like they would make much of a difference, but they are awesome! I now wear them everywhere!

*i also store my lens cloth in the fold-back mitten top, so its always right in hand ;) *

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! I'll be sharing these tips with Ben when we go out for our winter nature shoot! (We try to go with each season.)

    Also glad to see you blogging. ;)

    ReplyDelete